Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Someone else's Poet-ry (my favs)

You bring out the Mexican in me - Sandra Cisneros

I could kill in the name of you
and think it worth it
Brandish a fork and terrorize rivals,
male and female, who loiter and look
At you, in languid light.
Oh,
I am evil
I am the swallower of sins
The lust goddess without guilt
The delicious debauchery.
You bring out the primordial
exquisiteness in me.
The nasty obsession in me.
The corporal and venial sin in me.
The original transgression in me.

read in full :)

Sonnet 18 The Paraphrase - Shakespeare

Shall I compare you to a summer's day?
You are more lovely and more constant.
Rough winds shake the beloved buds of May,
And summer is far too short
At times the sun is too hot
Or often goes behind the clouds.
And everything beautiful sometime will lose its beauty,
By misfortune or by nature's planned out course.
But your youth shall not fade
Nor will you lose the beauty that you possess
Nor will death claim you for his own,
Because in my eternal verse you will live forever
So long as there are people on this earth
So long will this poem live on, making you immortal.


Your Catfish Friend - Richard Brautigan

If I were to live my life
in catfish forms
in scaffolds of skin and whiskers
at the bottom of a pond
and you were to come by
one evening
when the moon was shining
down into my dark home
and stand there at the edge
of my affection
and think, "It's beautiful
here by this pond.I wish
somebody loved me,"
I'd love you and be your catfish
friend and drive such lonely
thoughts from your mind
and suddenly you would be
at peace,
and ask yourself, "I wonder
if there are any catfish
in this pond?It seems like
a perfect place for them."

Romeo had Juliette - Lou Reed

Caught between the twisted stars the plotted lines
the faulty map
that brought Columbus to New York
Betwixt between the east and west
he calls on her wearing a leather vest
the earth squeals and shudders to a halt
A diamond crucifix in his ear is used to help
ward off the fear
that he has left his soul in someone's rented car
Inside his pants he hides a mop
to clean the mess that he has dropped
into the life of lithesome Juliette Bell

And Romeo wanted Juliette
and Juliette wanted Romeo

Romeo Rodriguez squares his shoulders and curses Jesus
runs a comb through his black pony tail
He's thinking of his lonely room
The sink that by his bed gives off a stink
then smells her perfume in his eyes
and her voice was like a bell

Outside the streets were steaming the crack dealers
were dreaming
of an Uzi someone had just scored
I betcha I could hit that light
with my one good arm behind my back
says little Joey Diaz

Brother, give me another tote
those downtown hoods are no damn good
Those Italians need a lesson to be taught

This cop who died in Harlem you think they’d
get the warnin’
I was dancing when his brains ran out on the street

and Romeo had Juliette
and Juliette had her Romeo

I'll take Manhattan in a garbage bag
with Latin writ on it that says
"It's hard to give a s--t these days"*
Manhattan's sinking like a rock, into the filthy Hudson
what a shock
They wrote a book about it, they said it was
like Ancient Rome
The perfume burned his eyes, holding tightly to her thighs
and something flickered for a minute
and then it vanished and was gone

Solitude Ain't Loneliness - Michelle Clinton

Say for instance you're a girl/ but citified/ a hard sister
like to keep her eyes open when she fucks/ & carries weapons
for the urban night creatures on the prowl/ Say you ain't
got no Freudian thing/ but you packing none the less:
your mucous is acid
your anger on a leash
& can't no wish from the mouth of a warm eyed lover
make you blink

Before the girl mist can enter you/ before you ever cop
a feminine buss/ & blow the urban rust out your uterus
you got to clear house
you got to clean out
all the greasy fuzz/ left behind by the rat pack lot
of ex lovers

You got to celibate/ in silence
& wait & wait for a red blush to rise up
a sparkling rush as radical as your first blood
as muscular as your momma's hands in soapy water
cold as the shock of the first breath
the earth blew into your lungs

The black sky wants your ass purified
& clear enough to release this city's fear
free enough to close your eyes
go inside & hear her.

She walks in Beauty - Lord Byron

SHE walks in beauty, like the night
Of cloudless climes and starry skies;
And all that 's best of dark and bright
Meet in her aspect and her eyes:
Thus mellow'd to that tender light
Which heaven to gaudy day denies.
One shade the more, one ray the less,
Had half impair'd the nameless grace
Which waves in every raven tress,
Or softly lightens o'er her face;
Where thoughts serenely sweet express
How pure, how dear their dwelling-place.

And on that cheek, and o'er that brow,
So soft, so calm, yet eloquent,
The smiles that win, the tints that glow,
But tell of days in goodness spent,
A mind at peace with all below,
A heart whose love is innocent.


Sonnet 116 - Shakespeare


I hope I may never acknowledge any reason why minds that truly love each other shouldn’t be joined together.
Love isn’t really love if it changes when it sees the beloved change or if it disappears when the beloved leaves.
Oh no, love is a constant and unchanging light that shines on storms without being shaken; it is the star that guides every wandering boat.
And like a star, its value is beyond measure, though its height can be measured. Love is not under time’s power, though time has the power to destroy rosy lips and cheeks.
Love does not alter with the passage of brief hours and weeks, but lasts until Doomsday.
If I’m wrong about this and can be proven wrong, I never wrote, and no man ever loved.




No comments: